The holidays are here and everyone is getting really excited about them. Most people are thinking about how to make their home look better and attractive during the holidays. Because of that, many people will use holiday lights to beautify their homes. But there is a major concern here: is it OK to hang holiday lights on your roof? Yes, it is OK. However, you must put into consideration several things when installing the holiday lights as they can help you to avoid damaging the roofing materials.
The following are some important things you need to note before you start hanging holiday lights on your roof:
- Untie all the lights strands before you start hanging them as that will save you valuable time when you begin to hang them.
- Inspect the light for frayed wires, faulty bulbs, or any bulbs that flicker before you hang them. Such things can be an indication of electrical damage, and it presents a possible fire hazard.
- If you have to use extension cords, make sure they are suitable for outdoor uses.
- Make sure that all your equipment, like ladders, are in perfect condition. When using the ladders, make sure that you place them on solid and flat ground.
- If you are hanging the lights while using your ladder, ensure that you don't stretch beyond your arm's natural reach.
And avoid doing the following things:
Using a Nail or Staple Gun
Using a nail or staple gun is not only dangerous, but it can also cause significant damages to your roof. Nailing or stapling the holiday lights on roof shingles can harm them, and this can cause a leak in your roof. Rather, you should consider using clips that are specifically designed to fasten the holiday lights securely to your gutters and shingles.
Never Leave the Lights on Without Someone to Supervise Them
You should never leave the holiday lights on when going to bed or leaving your house. In the event that the lights develop a problem, it is always important to ensure that there is someone who can react quickly to solve the problem or switch them off. This can assist in preventing personal injury or damages to your home. You can choose to install a timer so that you don't have to worry about turning your holiday lights on or off.
Call a roofing service to ask them for more tips for caring for your roof when you want to put up lights for the holidays.